domenica 29 aprile 2012

When at first you don't succeed, redefine success!


I'm going to be completely honest...

I deserted my blog for a little while because I got scared.

But,
I'm back again to fight my fear and continue.

There is something so powerful about starting again after you "fail" because you are giving yourself the freedom to be imperfect.  

I started this blog, and then I was overcome with the need to "succeed." And by "succeed" I mean--have a perfect blog.

My demand for perfection has sabotaged many endeavors and caused me enormous amounts of stress.

I have always expected myself to be productive without making any mistakes.


I feared that not living up to my expectations of perfection would be the end of the world.

This unconscious belief affected everything. It caused me to feel anxious, stressed, and always behind. I felt ashamed of myself for making mistakes or not being "on point" all the time.

As I am getting to know myself and relaxing into BEING, I am becoming aware that this pressure to succeed is springing from my fear of not being enough.

 I have been pinning my worth on how "successful" and perfect I look to others, but that will not make me feel truly successful and satisfied with my life.

I realized I need to redefine my definition of success.

4 LIFE-AFFIRMING DEFINITIONS OF SUCCESS:

1. Success is being true to yourself.

2. Success is getting back up and starting again. 

3. Success is accepting "good" instead of demanding "perfection."

4. Success is valuing our best efforts as enough for this moment, and being willing to forgive ourselves, and start again fresh.


Redefining success will not make us lazy, but give us room to be human.

It's time to give ourselves permission to be imperfect.

We all fall down sometimes, but the truth is...we rise stronger after we have fallen.

When what we feared actually happens, we realize it was not the end of the world.

We are stronger than we realized.

It IS possible to recover from a mistake, trip, or tumble.

True failure is not a slip or a stumble, but the refusal to participate in your own life. Failure is letting fear keep you from being true to yourself.

Success is continuing to be true to yourself and your goals. That might include a few falls and some stumbling in the dark, but that is the beauty of being human and imperfect. 


What is your belief about success? 


Have you given up on something important to you?


It is never too late to start again.






*If you have any thoughts/comments on the topic I would love to hear from you!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento