martedì 24 gennaio 2012

Waitress Wanted




 I had just recently quit a job I hated, because I wanted to follow my heart and start in a new direction that was more in sync with my passion and my talent. I was doing my part to find a new job. I posted advertisements for American English classes in different libraries and laundry mats. I invested time in networking and giving out my business card, but I was not getting any feedback.

After a few weeks without find a new job, I started to panic. I was worried my worst fear was coming true--that I had left the safety of a job I hated only to realize that my ideal job didn't exist or was unattainable. I was so desperate to find a job that I even applied to work at a low class restaurant. I would never eat there, but there was a sign in the window that said "Waitress Wanted." When I took my CV into the restaurant, the manager didn't even give me 2 minutes of his time. I left the restaurant so angry because I had lowered myself to the worst job I could possibly apply for, and I was treated disrespectfully.
I know I have so much to offer. I had quit the first job to pursue what I truly wanted to do and to develop my talent. I knew that I did not want to be a waitress at all, and that I was reverting to old self defeating patterns based on fear. It was enough to jolt me out of my paralysis an help me regain my resolve to pursue what I truly want.
I cannot let myself wallow in fear. Fear could be a good thing. A sign that I'm heading in the right direction because I am actually concerned about the outcome. I want to succeed. I am discovering that it helps to acknowledge my fear. When I allow myself to feel the fear, it releases me from my paralysis and I can move forward.
What if we can welcome fear, let fear have a healthy acknowledged place in our lives. Fear will always exist, but if we make friends with it. Feel the fear. Accept it, and then choose to move forward.
I am starting to seek out things that make me afraid. Like Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do one thing everyday that scares you."
You are stronger than you think. Explore what you can accomplish when you feel your fear but choose to act in your own best interest.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento